Healthy Eating to Build Immunity
Q: How does eating healthy help us build up our immunity?
A: You’ve probably heard the general advice around protecting ourselves from COVID-19 such as washing your hands often, staying home when sick and avoiding large group gatherings. Many people do not realize that boosting your immune system is an important way to ensure that your body can fight off illness if you do get sick.
Our lifestyle choices like diet can help strengthen your immune system by:
- Eating enough to give our immune systems energy to make immune cells, and
- Choosing nutritional food with enough vitamins and minerals to help our immune systems work to their full potential
Q: What should we be eating and drinking to support immune health?
A: To support a healthy immune system and help your body react to germs or illnesses, try these tips:
- Eat a variety of fruits and vegetables – think about eating the rainbow
- Limit saturated fat – Instead, go for healthy fats found in fatty fish, olives, nuts and avocados
- Choose more whole grains rich in fiber, antioxidants and minerals your immune system needs
Q: Do taking vitamins and supplements help?
A: Vitamins and supplements can certainly be a good complement to a healthy diet, but it is best to focus on getting your minerals and vitamins from eating a variety of nutrient-rich food. For example, you can get immune-boosting Zinc from food like dark meat turkey, beans and fortified cereals like Total.