Health Minute: Having a Happy, Healthy Road Trip
Summer vacation is a great time to visit new places and spend time as a family. Road trips, believe it or not, are a great way to spend quality time together. Try these tips to ensure your family has a fun and safe trip.
Before hitting the road, you’ll want to:
- Double-check car seats. It’s estimated that three out of four car seats are installed incorrectly. Have a certified car seat technician check your child’s seat.
- Don’t forget a first aid kit. Make sure you’re ready for every cut, scrape or fever that pops up on vacation.
- Pack healthy snacks. Don’t let anyone get hangry! Bring along healthy, mess-free snacks like water, trail mix, grapes, apple slices and peanut butter crackers.
- Plan for stops. Stop at scenic overlooks, walk around rest stops or hit up a local park to give everyone a chance to stretch their legs and burn off some energy.
Loud or restless kids can be distracting while driving. To help entertain the kids and prevent distracted driving, try these tips.
- Bring entertainment. Be sure to pack books, crayons, papers, stickers, tablets or a portable DVD to keep kids entertained in the backseat.
- Map the route together. Pull out an atlas and show kids the route you’ll be taking.
- Play games. Play a few rounds of the alphabet game, spot it or the license plate game to mix up the drive.
Not sure what car seat your child needs? Review our car seat guide, organized by age.