Back pain is a common medical issue many of us can relate to. Over 80 percent of Americans will experience back pain in their lifetime. Fortunately, there are measures you can take to prevent or relieve the pain. Check out these tips to keep back pain at bay.
There are several potential reasons for back pain and discomfort. Some of the most common reasons are:
- Poor posture
- Being obese or overweight
- Repetitive movement such as bending over or lifting heavy objects
Taking steps to prevent injury is the best way to manage back pain. Check out these tips to keep your back in good shape.
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Exercise and strength training twice per week
- Focus on good posture
- Sleep on a medium to firm mattress
- Lift heavy objects by bending at the knee
Most back pain can go away on its own, although it may take a while. If you have injured your back or are experiencing chronic back pain, try these tips to alleviate the pain.
- Take over-the-counter pain relievers
- Alternate cold and heat therapy to the affected area
- Stretch your hamstrings
- Take regular walks
Are you suffering from chronic back pain? Find a compassionate, expert doctor close to home with Adventist Medical Group.